|Location||Lovington, New Mexico|
|Date Posted||September 19, 2022|
Team up with Lea County!
What do we do?
Our purpose is to make a difference in the community, to make Lea County a better, safer, and more enjoyable place to live. And it s our employees who make that happen. Our employees serve in positions as diverse as clerk, administrative assistant, accountant, attorney, detention officer, engineer, IT professional, maintenance technician, mechanic, heavy equipment operator, law enforcement officer, supervisor, and manager, to name only a few.
What do we have to offer you?
Challenging opportunities to serve your community and make a difference, a diverse and dynamic work environment, plus a full range of benefits; including competitive pay, professional development opportunities, health, vision and dental insurance, vacation, holidays, sick, and military leave time, a retirement program, and more.
What can you bring to us?
In order to meet tomorrow s changing realities, we are constantly seeking outstanding employees who can help us improve our systems, processes, and technologies - today.
- Schedules, supervises, and directs construction, mainte nance, and operation within the County road system. Projects include construction, installation, building bridges, dikes, dams, controlling drainage problems, and assuring that roads for all bus routes are properly maintained and cleared.
- Schedules, supervises and directs road maintenance, including blading of caliche roadways, chip seal, slurry seal, micro sealing of paved roadways and maintenance of roadway signage.
- Knowledge of CDL requirements and restrictions.
- Knowledge of applicable MSHA regulations.
- Assures that road work conforms with applicable standards.
- Plans in conjunction with the Public Works Director to assure safe and operational condition of all county roads.
- Assists in the development of policies and procedures for the construction and maintenance of county road system.
- Directly supervises shop, maintenance, construction, crusher supervisors and administrative staff. Directs personnel administration for the road department, including implementation of all personnel policies, screening of applicants, performance evaluations, and recommendations for termination.
- Assures maintenance of appropriate personnel records as required by county policy.
- Implements appropriate safety programs in coordination with Director of Public Works, County Manager/Assistant County Manager, Risk Manager, and County Commission.
- Establishes competent standards and required maintenance procedures for equipment and materials.
- Responsible for all purchasing and inventory activities within the budget of the road department.
- Serves as liaison between road department, general public, various government agencies and municipalities; also serves as liaison between Road Advisory Board and County Manager and/or Board of County Commissioners.
- Consults with these entities and responds appropriately to their concerns.
- Communicates needs and requirements of personnel, budget and equipment through the Public Works Director to the County Manager and the County Commission.
- Is responsible for the preparation, implementation and coordination of County road department budget.
- Assists in the development and preparation of state and federal grant applications for road projects.
- Monitors County's regulatory compliance pertaining to state and federal grant programs.
- Regularly recommends, develops and - upon approval - implements new initiatives to enhance the assigned area of responsibility.
- Actively seeks appropriate grant opportunities in coordination with County grant writer/administrator.
- Performs all duties with minimum supervision.
- May be required to work irregular hours, attend job related meetings, and perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- College educations in applicable field preferred.
- Five years experience in general road construction.
- Two years experience in administrative or management related position in road con struction or related field.
Certifications, Skills and Licenses:
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in English.
- Valid New Mexico driver's license re quired.
- Knowledge of road construction, mainte nance and repair required.
- Knowledge of MUTCD, APWA, AASHTO regulations preferred.
- Must demonstrate a knowledge of heavy machinery, particularly road construction equipment, bulldozers, road graders, etc.
Ability to perform material quantity calculations and project estimating